Wednesday, October 31, 2007

An Honest Analysis of Mike Huckabee

Here is an honest analysis of Mike Huckabee. As you know, I try to provide honesty to you, my dear readers. This article in the Politico is an observation from journalist Roger Simon. It is not a raving review, nor is it a negative review, just the truth. Here is some snippets.

  • Huckabee not conservative enough for some

Mike Huckabee
Huckabee, who was governor of Arkansas for 10½ years, was only the third Republican governor there since Reconstruction.
Photo: AP


  • Mike Huckabee says he is the “conservative who is not mad at anybody,” but that doesn’t mean some people aren’t mad at him.
  • As Huckabee has done better in the polls, criticism of him has increased.
  • “The far left and the far right curse the ground on which I walk,” Huckabee told me Monday. “That is a great place to be. I am where far more of the country is.”
True that!
  • There may be another reason for some fiscal conservatives not to like him, however: Huckabee is anti-greed.
  • In his speeches, Huckabee rails against the “unbridled greed” of some Wall Street executives.
  • “I am not interested in being the candidate of Wall Street but of Main Street,” he says. “CEOs get paid 500 times what the average worker does, but they are not necessarily 500 times smarter or harder-working, and that is wrong.”
  • Last Friday, an opinion piece in The Wall Street Journal quoted Randy Minton, a former Republican state representative from Arkansas, as saying Huckabee’s “support for taxes split the Republican Party and damaged our name brand.”
  • Name brand? Of the Republican Party? In Arkansas?
  • Huckabee, who was governor of Arkansas for 10½ years, was only the third Republican governor there since Reconstruction. And he says that, far from damaging the name brand of Republicans there, he beat the “Clinton political machine” in Arkansas four times.
  • “Nobody knows Hillary better than me,” Huckabee told me. “The Clintons campaigned for my opponents four times, and I won. When people talk about who can beat Hillary, I say I already have.”
Mike Huckabee on immigration?
  • “I do not believe in amnesty, I don’t believe in sanctuary cities, I believe [illegal aliens] who commit crimes ought to be deported, and I believe we ought to go after the employers,” Huckabee said.
  • “But do I have a seething anger toward immigrants?” he went on. “No. I definitely have anger toward the incompetence of our government; I am just livid over it. But immigrants just love our country like we do.”
Mr. Simon did some math, see.
  • I did some math:
  • Mitt Romney has spent $53.6 million this primary season and has 36.2 percent of the vote in Iowa, according to the poll. Which means Romney has spent $1.48 million for every percentage point of support.
  • Rudy Giuliani has spent $30.6 million and has 13.1 percent of the vote. Which means he has spent $2.34 million for every percentage point of support.
  • Mike Huckabee has spent $1.7 million and has 12.8 percent of the vote. Which means he has spent $133,000 for every percentage point of support.
  • So who is the biggest fiscal conservative?
I think we all know the answer to that question.
Read the full article here.

God Bless from the Upper Peninsula in Michigan!

No comments: