Saturday, September 1, 2007

It Only happens Over There

I did participate in the blogger call yesterday. There was not time to ask my question. But Kevin Tracy has gotten some slack about his question about sex slavery. I guess perhaps this is because of the stereotype that "It only happens over there."
I have to say I was rather surprised about the question, especially a man asking the question. But this is an issue that Americans should be concerned about. And it does happen in our country. The victims are not just adult women. Many of them are children, girls and boys.
Kevin asked what Mike Huckabee would do about sex slavery in the US and around the world if president. Mike Huckabee said that much of it is online driven and that illegal activity needs to be prosecuted.
I don't know a whole lot about the subject, but I do know that people think it only happens in Eastern Europe, Russia and Asia. It happens all over the world. I have read a few articles on the subject and seen episodes on Dateline NBC. There are some mis-informed Americans that think Central and Eastern Europeans are a bunch of sex crazed maniacs because of this. A few bad apples should not be the driving force of how Americans see a beautifully historic part of Europe.
I think alot of how those "bad apples" can get away with this activity so easily is because much of this part of Europe is Atheistic, some say Agnostic. Either way it doesn't matter. What does matter is that Christians need show care and concern about this issue. We are all God's people and need to care for our fellow human beings. I will get back with more info on this.
I recall when Natalie Halloway, the Alabama girl who went missing in Aruba, was missing people were saying that she may have been sold into the sex slave trade. Geraldo and Dr. Phil did reports on this. Investigators were checking in neighboring islands, Mexico and even South America to see if they could find her. Supposedly, white girls with blond hair are considered "hot commodities" in these areas, with both locals and American business men.

1 comment:

Larry Perrault said...

I drop by from time to time. I lived in the Detroit are from about age 11-19 and one summer thereafter. Since then, I've gotten old. But, I have strong memories of Detroit pizza, Greektown, (ex) Tiger Stadium, The Pontiac Silverdome, and the main artery roads of Detroit.

What do you think the parties are going to do about Michigan bumping up their primary to Jan. 15, in defiance of both parties' rules?

Michigander cum Texan non-redneck
Larry Perrault