Thursday, August 16, 2007

When I was Three...


...I went to Graceland for the first time.


My uncle, who was in the Navy, was stationed in Memphis at the time. This was in 1978. My grandma, mom and I went to visit my aunt and uncle there. They took us to Graceland. This would have been only a year after Elvis' passing. At this time only the grounds were open. The plaza with the Elvis museums and Elvis gift shops was a regular shopping plaza then.




I don't remember too much about when I went to visit. I remember parking at the plaza and walking up to Graceland. At the time I knew who Elvis was. The only grave that was there was Elvis'. His grandma and father were buried next to him, later on.



There is also a memorial plaque for his twin brother Jesse, who was still born. Jesse is not there. According to Priscilla Presley on Larry King last night no one knew where he was buried. He did not have a headstone. Elvis always wanted to find him. I will write a post about the Larry King episode I saw last night.



Get a load of my uncles bell-bottoms ;)!
With a tear in my eye I would like to talk about when I first Elvis. When I was a little girl my dad would play his Elvis eight-tracks and records. I would stand on his feet and we would dance to Elvis. I still have those old records. Eight-tracks? Your guess is as good as mine. In fact I am still listening to those old records, at this moment. One time my dad saw them in my collection and asked me where I got them. I told him he gave them to me. He asked when he gave them to me. I told him he left them when my parents divorced. He said, "so I didn't really give them to you, but you can keep 'em anyways."


Hey, I just heard Elvis singing "Jailhouse Rock" on Elvis Pure Gold album from 1975. I still think about when I went to Ames and heard Capitol Offense play the song. I couldn't help but think about hearing them play and I just shouted out, "awww Elvis!".
I also got to go to Graceland when I was seventeen. I have to find the pics. Then I can post about that time.
God Bless from the Upper Peninsula in Michigan!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love old pictures. I like Elvis history, too. Thanks for posting them.

My cousin, Linda Thompson, dated him and lived at Graceland for a few years. It's funny ... my/her family was kind of embarassed by it because they are old fashioned Southern Baptists. I was a baby at the time, though. So, I don't remember much of it.

Here is one of the only interviews she has given about her time with Elvis.

Michigan Redneck said...

Jeremy,

Thank you for the link. I had heard about her in stories about Elvis.