Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Best Music to Come out of Arkansas since Johnny "The Man In Black" Cash

Since this is a blog mostly about Mike Huckabee, but today is also Elvis Day, I thought I would bring this post to the top of the page.


Even though today is Official Elvis Day at Michigan Redneck, I have found a way to still talk about Mike Huckabee. All day today I am listening to my Elvis records from the seventies or watching Elvis on TV Land. Today at noon will be a documentary interview, Elvis: His Best Friend Remembers, with one of Elvis' closest friends. At 7:30 pm will be the showing of his performances on Ed Sullivan.

When I went shopping in Sault Ste. Marie Tuesday, as I was leaving the bank, I heard playing on the radio Johnny Cash's "Boy Named Sue." I thought then about a Capitol Offense post about my experience at the Straw Poll. Since today is Elvis Day this is a perfect time to talk about Mike Huckabee and music. If it hadn't been for Elvis there never would have been the great music that Capitol Offense covers. While these songs are not Elvis songs, Elvis inspired and opened the door for the artists who first recorded the songs Capitol Offense plays.
Back to Johnny Cash and Capitol Offense. Johnny Cash is from Arkansas, as is Capitol Offense. As I heard Johnny Cash sing I thought, "there is another great musician from Arkansas" and that's Mike Huckabee. Could I say they are better than Johnny Cash? No. Are they as good? I can't say. Different styles and eras, make it incomparable. But they are damn good! I was so glad to have the experience to hear him play bass in Capitol offense, during the Straw Poll.
They may not have a fancy label. Nor are they well known. But they are great! They played great songs. Of course ya know "Jailhouse Rock" was my fave that they played. But also they played "Sweet Home Alabama", "Free Bird", "Johnny B. Goode" and so many others that are too numerous to mention. They played "Johnny B. Goode" with Elvis. I recall hearing them play it. For some reason I can't recall Elvis. I could have sworn I went to hear them when they played it. But I don't recall Elvis. This was when I was trying to take video. Perhaps I was having a mild heat stroke? Or maybe I was just overwhelmed by the "coolness"? I can not believe my mem card in my camera got messed up. I was able to retrieve the still pics, but the vid is gone forever. Don't worry, I know the Elvis that was there was an impersonator.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll find videos of Capitol Offense playing "Jailhouse Rock", "Johnny B. Goode" (with Elvis) and "Free Bird" at www.myspace.com/capitoloffense. Look in the "videos" section.

Thanks

Capitol Offense

Michigan Redneck said...

Thank you for the link.