Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Even Current Arkansas Governor Mike Beebe "Likes Mike"!



Check out this article in The Morning News local news for northwest Arkansas. Mike Beebe calls Mike Huckabee gracious and engaging.

  • Shortly after announcing his endorsement of Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., for president, Gov. Mike Beebe had kind words to say about another candidate in the race -- Beebe's predecessor in the governor's office, Republican Mike Huckabee.
  • Beebe was talking to reporters following an appearance with Clinton last Monday in Little Rock when he was asked about Huckabee's recent comments praising Bill and Hillary Clinton for keeping their marriage together and raising a good daughter. Huckabee also praised Bill Clinton's record of leadership as president.
  • "You know, he can be very gracious," Beebe said. "He can be very engaging. I applaud what he said to his fellow Republicans about the Clintons. That's the kind of thing that I think endears him to some people.
  • "One of the reasons that I think Mike Huckabee had such a wonderful relationship with so many people in Arkansas for such a long time, and with many still to this day ... (is) the very classy way he handled his ascension to the governorship," Beebe said.
  • Huckabee rose from lieutenant governor to governor in 1996 following Gov. Jim Guy Tucker's conviction on federal fraud and conspiracy charges. The charges came out of the then-expanding Whitewater investigation.
  • "He reached out to Jim Guy Tucker's family in the midst of that conviction," Beebe said. "He was very forgiving. He tried to heal the state at that time. Those are traits and qualities, I think, that stood him in good stead."

This is one of those articles that I absolutely had to add the entire article. I don't know too much about Mike Beebe, other than there was a little coverage about the Arkansas governor's race in '06. But I will assume that he is speaking from the heart. After all, what does he, a Democrat who supports Hillary Clinton, have to gain? He is not some Republican just giving lip service to be nice.

If ya want to read more news from Arkansas that is on the page click here.

If y'all don't mind I would like to discuss some things that were said in the article. I think that is nice that both Mikes called Chelsea a "good daughter," of the Clinton's. I remember when Bill Clinton was first elected. Everyone was making fun of Chelsea, comedians, Rush Limbaugh and even kids in school. I didn't think that was right.

She was a young teenager at that time. Young girls go through that "awkward stage." Even my mom, who doesn't like Bill Clinton, said "I hope she grows up to be a really pretty young lady. That would show them all." When I was attending a Christian high school my government teacher and the students were talking about how "ugly" she was. I stood up for Chelsea and told them what my mom said and everyone laughed at me and said she would never be pretty. I just don't think it is right to make fun of someone just because of who her parents are. Bill and Hillary's problems were theirs, not their daughter's.

The nice things Gov. Beebe said about Mr. Huckabee goes to show ya that even when people and have disagreements on certain issues they can find commonality. The fact that Mike Huckabee reached out to the Tucker family is proof that Mike Huckabee can separate one thing from the other. What Jim Guy Tucker did, his family had nothing to do with that. And Mike was smart enough to know the difference. Also, he was compassionate enough to reach out to him.

God Bless from the Upper Peninsula in Michigan!

No comments: