Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Joel Westrom Talks



As y'all know I am excited about the Mackinac Republican Leadership coming up on Mackinac Island. Not just because Mike Huckabee will be there but because of the promotion of Michigan Republican politics at state, district, county and local levels. I asked First District Chairman Joel Westrom to write a post about the First District and the Mac Conf. Today he sent me his post. So without further adoo here is Joel's post.

I’m Joel Westrom your First Congresssional District GOP Chairman. I’m here today on Kathy’s blog to tell you little bit about the District and where we are going. Recently elected to Chairman in Februray 2007 I made it my mission to unite and build our District starting with our Grassroots supporters.

I’m optimistic about the 2008 elections. In particular Rep. Tom Casperson’s race for US Congress. Tom has proven himself as a leader in the 108th House District and is taking his skills to the next level to deliver those same values to our District. His hard work and determination has the attention of the Michigan Republican Party and RNC. They have all made multiple trips to the District in support of Tom and we looking forward to a competitive race.

In addition to Tom’s race will have to open House seats. The 106th and 108th. We’re optimistic we’ll maintain a Republican in the 108th as well as secure a new Republican in the 106th.

As Chairman of one of the largest geographical Congressional Districts in the US , I felt it was important that we implement new technology to help us communicate. First on the list was a First District web-site, http://www.firstgop.com/ that will eventually link to each of the 31 County web-sites. Secondly, I introduced a new video conference system that allowed Legislators and MRP staff to interact more with the District. Together with Saul Anuzis, MI State Chairman, we were able to have meetings frequently all across the District. It’s my goal to have every County on board this new system by the end of 2007.

I look forward to meeting some of you at our Bi-Annual Mackinaw conference in September. With a crowded slate of Presidential Candidates, expect to see lots of action and media coverage at this event. The schedules are still being worked out but if you plan to attend expect opportunities to meet with most the contenders on the slate.

*Last but not least. Kathy has been doing a great job. She keeps the District updated on many fronts and is a tireless worker for the party. I grateful we have Kathy on our team and look forward to seeing her along with some of you on Mackinaw.*

If there is anything I can do for any of you, please do not hesitate to email me.

Joel Westrom
Chairman
First Congressional GOP District
http://www.firstgop.com/
joel@firstGOP.com

*I promise I did not ask him to say anything about me. Those are his words. So now I want to say some nice things about him. As was said, he has been the District Chairman since Feb. 2007. He does a great job at getting everyone involved with events. He has organized more events and fundraisers in the past 6 months than what was done in the three years since I have been involved in local and district politics. He tirelessly shows up at Lincoln Day Dinners in the counties in the First District. Also, neither one of us mis-spells Mackinac/Mackinaw. It can be spelled either way.

God Bless from the Upper Peninsula in Michigan!

No comments: