Friday, August 10, 2007

Mike Huckabee is Worth the Time

Well, this is my last blog post, before I embark on that journey called Iowa.
Have ya ever felt happy, excited, nervous and restless all at the same time? That's how I feel right now. Of course I am definitely happy about going to Iowa. Yet this is not just a vacation for fun. I am sure it will be fun and full of excitement. But it is more than just that. Never have I felt this strongly for a candidate that I would be willing to ride 22 hours on a bus, each way, to volunteer for a candidate. Especially during the primary countdown. One hour should be the limit. Maybe 5 or 6 after the nominee has been chosen. Mike Huckabee is a different candidate. He is worth the time.
I have been a Republican since I was a teenager. In the past I have let the party and media steer me towards who I am supposed to think is electable. I would always believe that the "top-tier" were the only ones to consider. I thought the guys that were labeled "second tier" were just a bunch of nuts wasting time. I never payed this close attention to the race for nominee before. I had a lackluster attitude toward primaries. After I heard about Mike Huckabee I thought different.
He doesn't think in terms of Right vs Left. He thinks in terms of Right vs. Wrong. While he is definitely a Conservative Republican, he doesn't wear blinders either. He looks into an issue from all angles.
Having grown up living in a home where the father had to work two jobs to support a family, being a pastor, then onto being a governor, he has seen it all. He saw his father lovingly give to his wife and kids the basic needs of a family. Mike knows that there are other Americans who live this way. He can truly empathize with them. Most religious leaders see people from all walks of life, everything from the family who is living in their car up to people with seven figure, or more, incomes. As a pastor, Mike knows the needs of all these people, regardless of circumstances. As a former governor, in the capitol office he had a picture frame titled "The Boss." Who's picture was in that frame? Not Mike Huckabee. It was the good citizens of Arkansas. The picture would be changed every week or so, depicting an average Arkansan, whether it be a girl scout or farmer.
That, among many other reasons, is why I Like Mike so much. That is why I feel the desire to go out to Iowa. I will be telling everyone, along my journey, I can about Mike Huckabee. As I have said before, most people who ride buses don't follow politics that much. Oh sure they complain just as much as the average person. Mike Huckabee is just what bus riders having been desiring. They just need to find out about him. Who he is. What he stands for.
I shall be back to my blog as soon as I can. Not only am I planning on talking to bus riders about Mike Huckabee, but also I will try to find out about them. I would like to report on the average American, whether they be black or white, rich or poor, conservative or liberal, drink or don't drink. Each individual is different and just because the average bus rider may be blue collar that doesn't make him or her any less of a human being.
While I am gone please take the time to read the bloggers on my blog roll. Also check out the many posts about Mike Huckabee from Arkansas Republican Assemblies.

No comments: