Saturday, August 4, 2007

Now playing...The Coasters! UPDATE

Originally I posted this article on July 31. Since it has instructions on how to sew the coasters I thought I would re-post it. Remember tomorrow is the Debate on ABC. So, for good luck you might want to quickly make some coasters. I am almost done with my bag. I am going to have teacher friend, who is also the school's play director film my "I Like Mike" vid, soon.
Hey check out these Mike Huckabee articles. Huckabee: No Contradicting Pro-Life Position and
Huckabee Vows to Work on Bridges, Highways. Click on to www.mikehuckabee.com to get info direct from the campaign itself. I will be back to actual blogging soon enough. Hopefully, I get at least one post in before I go to Iowa.

As promised, I will now talk about the coasters. No, not the doo-wop group, the coasters I am making. Dang, ever since I saw the video of Mike Huckabee at the Surf Ballroom I can't get out of this time machine.

So now I shall give step-by-step instructions for making felt coasters.

Supplies: All purpose thread, scissors, small snippers, 3 or 4 inch square piece of felt, small ruler, bias tape; single or double fold, marking pencil, embroidery floss.


Cut felt into a 3 or 4 inch square. If ya got large drinking glasses you will definitely want to cut the felt at 4 inches, possibly 5 inches.
After you have cut the square you will want to attach the bias tape. Some packages have easy to understand instructions. Don't purchase the extra-wide. While it is easier to attach to the felt, it won't look as good, due to the fact that it's width will be too much and the balance won't look right.
Each edge of the bias will be folded towards each other in the center, this is the part that won't be seen on finished project. Always attach with the wider half on the bottom of the coaster's edge. The edge of the felt should come to the center of the tape, whether it is single fold or double fold. Now you will bring the shorter half over the edge.
If you are sewing with a machine have some of the bias end piece hang over the crossways edge of felt at the beginning of sewing it on. Do not pin bias to felt. Just keep your fingers holding it as you slowly sew the pieces together.
If you hand sew the bias on you can pin it to the felt. Attach using a backstitch. I can't explain a backstitch, so I will direct you to this link.
Sew one edge at a time. When you are done with an edge, clip the remaining bias and repeat. With machine sewing only reverse stitch on the very last edge.

This is what your coaster will look like after you have attached the bias, clip any hanging threads.


For the lettering, backstitch. Unless your sewing machine has zig-zag. If your sewing machine has zig-zag, but ya would prefer to have straight stitches on you lettering, that's fine. I promise the Craft Police won't get ya. Now wasn't that fun!

NOW FOR ONE OF THE MANY REASONS "I LIKE MIKE"

I figured that with my little projects that I am making, this would be the perfect time to talk about one of many reasons why "I Like Mike." He wholeheartedly believes that schools should teach extensive Arts and Music Education. His theory is that it helps kids learn with both the left and right side of the brain. His thought is that these subjects should not be considered extra-curricular, but required, like math and science. I agree!

While I am obviously out of high school and don't have kids in school, I support that issue. Why? He also says that school kids are taking the most expensive naps in school, because they are bored. Well, those naps are at mine and other tax-payers expense.

When I was in school I was not the best student, a Rebel without a Clue. During my Senior year of high school I took a sewing class. Now some people may think this is part of home-ec. Yes and no. With the sewing clothes, it would be considered that way. But with basic sewing knowledge ya can make crafts and home-decor using the knowledge ya learn from making clothes.

Even though I never took an actual art class, crafting is an art. It really brings out the creative side in people. Whenever I go to the fabric store I really wake up and get excited. I love to look at the patterns and fabrics. Even if I can't afford some of it, it is fun just to look. I would assume that it is the same way for students of music and arts when they go to a music or arts supplies store. I think the best time for them to learn arts and music is in school, while they are still young.

Well, gotta "Shake, Rattle and Roll!" and God Bless from the Upper Peninsula in Michigan!

No comments: