Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Fun While Grocery Shopping

I am in "a mood" today. The other day I was at the grocery store. I enjoy grocery shopping, normally. Except on this day as I went to pay for my groceries I was standing behind a lady who is on WIC (Women, Infants and Children) or some sort of assistance program. She had two sets of groceries. One set was milk, eggs, name brand cereal and whatever else. The other set was marshmallows, candy, and other such junk food. She bought the first set of groceries with some sort of ticket. I am assuming that it was from WIC. The other set was payed with cash.
Here's my point. If she could afford to pay for the junk food she can afford to buy veggies, dairy, starch based products and meat. These things are way cheaper than junk food or even prepared TV dinners. I get upset when I see things like that. While food assistance programs only allow for only nutritional food, it is still my tax dollars paying for this. I understand that some people really are poor and this helps them out. When I see them buying food they really don't need that won't help their health, it burns my buttons.
I have to watch my budget. I can't afford to buy all kindsa goodies. Then someone on assistance can. There is so many ways for people to take advantage of this.
WIC is based on how many people live in the household according to income. This can include roomates or more than one working adult in the household. So if you have a woman who is pregnant or has any children who is living with her boyfriend, who works, who lives in his parents house, who both work, all the members of the household can receive free food on our tax dollars. Perhaps if these people weren't buying twinkies they wouldn't need assistance.
This is why I think thorough Home-ec education needs to be brought back in schools. The poor kids who may not have a chance to go to college can learn how to budget for groceries, clothes and bills. They can get an education in learning how to eat healthy. They can learn how to prepare decent meals spending the least possible amount of money.
At the local food bank they give day long classes on preparing healthy meals and saving money. Of course the saving money isn't about stocks and bonds. It's about changing spending habits having enough food on a lower budget.

1 comment:

RightMichigan.com said...

I wondered if there was more to the story after that post on RM. :)

--Nick
www.RightMichigan.com