Wednesday, August 29, 2007

If I Can Dream (breakdown)

Little 'ol me has been having writers block. I was not sure what to post most all night last night. Now I think I know what I want to write about. I have posted the Elvis video of him sing "If I can Dream." I have posted the words. Now, with this whole Larry Craig incident adding to many past Republican scandals, it got me thinking. I want to post a breakdown of the Elvis song and why it really speaks to me in political terms.




If I Can Dream
There must be lights burning brighter somewhere.
Got to be birds flying higher in a sky more blue.
If I can dream of a better land,
where all my brothers walk hand in hand.
Tell me why, oh why, oh why can't my dream come true?
Oh why?
There can be quite a few takes on this stanza. For me, two things come to mind. The feeling yours and mine European ancestors were feeling when they decided to come to the great country called America they heard about. To them, America was the better land with birds flying higher in a sky more blue. They worked hard in Europe to save up for the trip to make
their dream come true.
Since the song was recorded in the sixties, it could also be about the civil rights turmoil.
There must be peace and understanding sometime.
Strong winds of promise that will blow away
all the doubt and fear.
If I can dream of a warmer sun,
where hope keeps shining on everyone.
Tell me why, oh why, oh why won't that sun
In current times there is so much going on with our culture. And secular society is fighting to keep God out of the public square. On the political scene Democrats hate Republicans just for the sake of hate. Republicans hate Democrats just for the sake of hate. There needs to be peace and understanding. Yet, Christians do need to fight to keep their rights.
With the word hope being used, I have to mention in Mike Huckabee. With his ability to look at all sides of the issues, he is the hope that can shine on our nation.
We're lost in a cloud
with too much rain.
We're trapped in a world
that's troubled with pain.
But as long as a man
has the strength to dream
he can redeem his soul
and fly...
This is the stanza that really speaks to me about the direction the Republican party has been heading in. The Republican party is "lost in a cloud with too much rain," with scandals and big wigs being persuaded by the lobbyists.
Mike Huckabee has the strength to dream and fly and redeem the soul of the party.
Deep in my heart there's a trembling question.
Still I am sure, that the answer's
gonna come somehow.
Out there in the dark,
there's a beckoning candle, yeah.
Mike Huckabee is the answer. He is the beckoning candle out there in the dark.
And while I can think, while I can talk.
While I can stand, while I can walk.
While I can dream.
Please let my dream come true...
Right now.
This last stanza tells me that when I see something wrong, I need to stand up and speak up about it. This is a message to everyone out there, whether it be 1968 or 2007. Don't let apathy take over. Even for people who can't talk, or stand, or walk do whatever you can to right the wrongs.
I am not sure what Elvis had in mind when he wrote this song. Perhaps it was the civil rights. Perhaps it was about the poor children going hungry. Perhaps it was the government.
Whatever his purpose was, this has got to be one of his best works. I encourage all of you to watch the Elvis video on the sidebar. Some people have done some splicing with pictures of Elvis and old news footage of Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Kennedy brothers. I also encourage you to watch those. They are very moving.
Perhaps I am overthinking this. I don't know, but I thought I would share my thoughts.
God Bless from the Upper Peninsula in Michigan!

No comments: