Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Things that are Goin in a Redneck Girl's Musical Mind

I am currently listening to my favorite singer, Brian Setzer. The CD? Ignition! This CD is more inspired by the sounds of Eddie Cochran. It's got a retro, in your face attitude. Damn, Brian Setzer is HOT! I wish there was more rock music available that has that pure unadulterated sound of the rock pioneers such as Elvis, Buddy Holly, J.P. "Big Bopper" Richardson, Eddie Cochran, too numerous to mention.
I am certain I was born in the wrong decade. I love listening to fifties music, collect anything from the fifties, cook the same style of food. I even save the bacon grease, use a stove-top percolator and grind the beans by hand.

My sewing machine? A Domestic Model 253 Deluxe. This was my grandma's from 1950. In 57 years, it has only had a tune-up once. That was after my grandma gave it to me. It had been sitting around for a few years not being used, so it needed one. I just need to make sure I keep it oiled properly. My grandma used to make Barbie dresses out of left over material from her's and her kid's dresses on this machine. I even still have an apron she made on that same sewing machine. I will add a pic of my sewing machine sometime.
I actually found Elvis fabric. I used it to make stockings and ornaments for my dad, brother and grandpa for Christmas. I even bought enough fabric to make an apron. I will definitely show a pic of that when I finish. Oh, ya gotta see the hot pink fuzzy leopard print chair cover I made for my sewing room.
Whatever happened to American ingenuity? Everything used to last longer and be of better quality; appliances, fabric, toys, cars, etc. Now I'm sounding like my grandparents.
My early 80's GE washing machine just gave out on me last week. The repair man told me not to replace it with another GE. He said they have crappy quality and your lucky if they can last a full decade. He told me to get a Whirlpool. Even still, the longest they last is 15 years. He was right, last time I had him come to my house, four years ago, to work on it he said I had another 3 years left on it. Well I guess that machine told him. It lasted another year. I still have my mom's harvest gold 1970's dryer, and it's still working.


Back to music. My favorite song on the Brian Setzer Ignition! CD is "Malaguena." This is an old Spanish acoustic guitar song. It is strictly instrumental. Brian Setzer's version is Electric guitar. It is very emotional, with many ups and downs, fast and slow. He gives it a fifties sound, while staying true to the music.

Sometimes I just like to make a martini, kick back and listen to Frank Sinatra. Sometimes a girl just needs to reflect on things and be taken back to a different simpler more kinder time.


Oh, before I forget. Go over to Capitol Offense's My Space page and vote for a song you would like to hear them play. You can vote as many times as you would like. So vote for "Jailhouse Rock" as much as possible. Help out Elvis. Show how much you love him. Elvis is still HOT! I have heard Capitol Offense on YouTube. They are pretty good.

Well, keep on rockin chicks and cool cat daddy-0s. Don't be a square.

No comments: