Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Book Report Part 1 Chapter 2 A Delicate Vessel

As promised here is Chapter 2 of my book report. So pull up a chair and have a cup of coffee or hot chocolate. First, if you have not read the previous book reports please read Introduction then Chapter 1....


Then watch this excellent video that includes the incidents included in Chapter 1 and the beginning in Chapter 2. A shout to Kevin Tracy, who posted the video, is where I found it. Check out his great blog page.







Now for Chapter 2. As you recall, Chapter 1 ended with Jim Guy Tucker refusing to resign. I should probably note that Jim Guy Tucker was the Lieutenant Governor to Bill Clinton. I doubt I have to explain who Bill Clinton is.

5:15 p.m. ...July 15, 1996....Little Rock Arkansas...Lieutenant Governor Mike Huckabee made his televised speech. I was debating whether or not I would take the time to type in the speech, since I have already posted the video. I feel if I don't type it in so you can read it, I would be doing an injustice to Mike and my readers.

  • Good Evening ladies and gentlemen. Tonight I fully expected to address you as the 43rd governor of the state of Arkansas. For nearly seven weeks, all of us have anticipated that on or before July 15, our governor would follow through on his promise that he made to the people of our state in late May, when a jury of Arkansas citizens handed down guilty verdicts on two felony counts. The people of Arkansas understood that the governor was acting in the best interest of the people of the state when he chose to step down rather than stay on beyond the period of time which he said would be for an orderly transition.
  • Tonight, I come here with an extraordinary sense of probably the same shock you have. I had stayed up late over the last several evenings preparing what was going to be a carefully crafted speech. Needless to say, this afternoon that speech went to the wastebasket. Tonight, I stand before you with no script, with no written words. Just a few moments to share with you from the depths of my heart as a fellow Arkansas citizen exactly where we are at this very critical moment in our state's history.
  • It was all of our understanding that today was going to be the day in which the governors announced resignation would take effect. All of us had acted in that regard, both in Governor Tucker's office as well as in my office and with the transition team. We have worked diligently over the past seven weeks, not only in terms of preparing for this moment, but even more so, families have relocated; many people in the governor's office have resigned and taken other positions; others have resigned their work to come work for me; children have been enrolled in schools; there has been a lot of activity.
  • But my fellow citizens, let me tell you that this is not about the convenience to anyone. This is far bigger than job changes for those of us who have anticipated having to find something or having something find us. What is really at issue tonight is a simple question between right and wrong. This afternoon, I spent a lot of time listening to legal counsel and experienced people of the law. There are as many opinions as there are lawyers, as you know. But as this afternoon and this hour approached, I realize that this is not a time for a committee decision. What we have to do is come to a place where we take clear and decisive action. Because, frankly, that is exactly what you have elected us to do. Let me give you some of the chronology of what has happened today and how we plan to respond to it.
  • In the first place, just before two o'clock, approximately 1:55, I received a telephone call from Governor Tucker, indicating to me that he had changed his mind about resigning. Even at this late hour, he indicated that he was drafting and preparing to sign a letter which would simply temporarily give the duties and responsibilities of the governors office to me in my capacity as lieutenant governor. He further stated that this was based on a motion that he filed in court last Friday, feeling that there was a strong possibility that the motion in court could , in fact, result in his jury verdict in May being set aside--further indicating that he felt like, if in fact he did resign and then the court set aside the judgement, he would have resigned in advance of what was appropriate and necessary.
  • Let me be very candid with you, I have tried very diligently to be cooperative and, frankly, to be very quiet about the actions of the past seven weeks. The literally hundreds of appointments; the nearly $58 million spent in state money. I remained silent because I respected the fact that the governor was still the governor until a court said that he was not. I further knew that on or before July 15, just as he had stated, this issue would be over, and Arkansas could close this chapter of our past and open a brand new chapter for our future. As a result of that, I believe that it was in the best interest of all our people, Democrats or Republicans, to remain as calm as possible and to simply try to stay the course of preparing to become governor. We never imagined that the governor would make any kind of decision like this. I expressed that to him today.
  • Further, I expressed that in his announcement of resignation in the last part of May, there were no qualifications that he placed on it. Therefore, to add qualifications at this point seemed very inappropriate. As you probably by now know, the house and the senate were already assembled to be prepared to watch me take the oath of office. In addition to that, there were people gathered all over the Capitol who were prepared for the ceremony at three o'clock. But once again, the issue here is not ceremonies and inconveniences--the time they spent driving from Jonesboro, Fayetteville, or Texarkana. The issue is much bigger than that.
  • Following that session in which we received the governor's letter indicating his refusal to step down from office and merely transfer temporarily the powers of office, I spoke briefly to House chamber. I was met with an extraordinary sense of warmth and welcome, but more importantly, with the universal support of the members who realize that this is indeed a tragic day for our state, I request a meeting with the Speaker of the House Bobby Hogue and President Pro Tempore of the Senate Stanley Russ. These men are honorable men. I want you to understand that we did not meet as a Republican governor and two Democratic legislators. We met as people who have been charged with the awesome responsibility of making very important decisions.
  • I know that there are many who will probably say that this is going to be great for the Republicans , isn't it? My friends, this is simply going to be bad for Arkansas. No Republican would ever take pleasure in it, nor should any Democrat be branded with the responsibility of it. The decision that brings us to this crisis was a decision, not of Democrats, not of Republicans, not of the speaker, not of the president of the pro tempore, or any member elected by you, the people, to serve the Legislature. This is a decision that Mr. Tucker and only Mr. Tucker made. And now this decision will confront the 135 members of the General Assembly and will confront me, who right now stands in the role of acting governor.
  • Well I take that seriously. When I swore my oath of office to you, the people of Arkansas, I meant everything I said. Based on my meetings with Speaker Hogue and Senator Russ, the following actions are taking place. I asked Speaker Hogue and Senator Russ to speak with the governor this afternoon. They were dispatched from my office at just about four o'clock . They were to give him the message that we would very much request that he reconsider his earlier decision and instead would offer to me before five o'clock an unqualified letter of resignation. That offer was refused.
  • Then we said that, if he was unwilling to do it by five o'clock to avoid the further humiliation and the further embarrassment to our state over this issue, we would be forced to take the second course of action. The governor has been notified that as of nine o'clock in the morning, if we have not received a letter of unreserved, unqualified resignation, a proclamation, which is being prepared even as I speak, will be signed and put into motion in the morning. That proclamation will call for an immediate emergency session of the General Assembly. We will ask the members of the Arkansas House and Senate to convene on Wednesday at ten o'clock for the purpose of initiating the process of impeachment and, ultimately, the removal from office of Jim Guy Tucker as governor of Arkansas.
  • My friends, let me tell you that this is one of the most painful decisions that I have ever had to make in my life. I do this with no pleasure. I do this without a sense of what politics may be involved. I do it because I have an awesome responsibility to you--the people who elected me and even the ones who did not--to do what I said I would do, and that is to uphold the constitution of this state and of the United States.
  • When the founding fathers created our system of constitutional government, the genius of it was that we could change governments, entire governments, if not governors, without firing one shot, without one drop of blood, without one bomb, without a bullet, without bloodshed whatsoever. We must preserve the idea that our government is to be operated in the most honorable way, where we act not in our own best interest nor act in the best of our own political careers. We must--the people deserve it, the people demand it--we must act for what is best for our state and for those who have given us the sacred trust of public office. That is why, my friends, that I come to you with this sad news.
  • I hope the governor will, in fact, reconsider his decision today to withhold the resignation that he promised the people. Going back on one's word is a serious thing. I think that all of us can feel a sense of sadness and not joy, and yet a sense of resolve, and, yes, a sense of community that we must and we will stand forth true, clear and tall in this battle. If there are court challenges, let them come. We are more than ready to face them. If there are challenges of those who like to write columns or make opinions, let them come. We have not been elected to take a poll or to somehow check with opinion writers or to even be threatened with by the possibility legal action. We have been elected to serve you and to represent you.
  • I want again to say how much I appreciate all of the members of the General Assembly to a person. If there any exceptions, I have not heard from any of them yet. But to a person, Democrats, Republicans alike, they have made it very clear that this no time for us to draw sides. This is a time to draw together. And with Speaker Hogue, Senator Russ, their leadership, their experience, their wisdom, their commitment to joining with me in this unfortunate, unpleasant, painful, yet necessary action, we will show not only the people of Arkansas, but we will show the people of America that in this state we believe in some old fashioned values, in doing what is right. Whether it is good for us or not, whether it is good for our party or not, we want to do the right thing because, we owe the people no less.
  • Several years ago, I lived in Pine Bluff. A dear friend and mentor of mine was longtime and now the late county judge, Earl Chadick. He was a grand old man. I will never forget Judge Chadwick had in his office in the Jefferson County Courthouse a wonderful sign behind his desk. It simply said, "Come let us reason together." That is how good government is supposed to work, and I am going to make sure that everyone of us, who can and will, remember that very thought. We will come. We will reason together.
  • It is my sincere prayer--and I mean this from the depths of my heart--it is my hope and prayer that Mr. Tucker will in fact have to my desk at nine o'clock in the morning a letter of resignation in which there are no qualifications. No ifs, ands, or buts. But if not, we will be fully prepared and will with resolve carry out the only thing we can carry out, and that is the process of impeachment and then the removal of office; and then, hopefully and finally, bring closure to this open and oozing wound. Not to the Democrats but to all of Arkansas.
  • My thanks to everyone of you as citizens who have been patient today--who came today expecting to a be part of a particular ceremony that perhaps you thought would mark a day in history. Instead, we have marked another kind of day in history. And tomorrow, it will be yet another moment of perhaps promise.
  • But here is what I pledge to you. I will make my share of mistakes. Always have. Always will. That is why I am grateful to God that He is a God that looks at us, and with all that he knows about us, still loves us, still forgives, still empowers us to go on. Now there are those who tell me, "Mike, don't make so many quotes from the Bible in your speeches." Well, a word to those who, perhaps with good intentions, tell me not to reference God or the Bible. The fact is, that since my childhood that Book and it's author have been the guiding forces in my life, and it would be much easier for me to give up being governor than it would be to give up taking the counsel that I have had from God and His Word.
  • Now I very much hope and trust that each one of you Arkansas citizens will let your desires be known to your state Representative and state senator. You elected them to represent you, and I believe that these honorable men and women will. Don't think that the Democratic representatives don't feel equally embarrassed. Don't think that they have some agenda here other than what is best for Arkansas. Call them. Let them know tonight and tomorrow your feelings and desires, and let us all pray that Governor Tucker will do the right thing for Arkansas, for the Tuckers, and for Arkansas' history.
  • Thank you for letting me join with you. My wife Janet and I express sincere thanks for your prayers and concerns and your love. And now, simply let me express to you that we want America to see the best that we are and come to understand that Arkansas is truly small but wonderful , wonderful state with wonderful, wonderful people. God bless and good night.
  • In Chapter 2 Mike Huckabee only added excerpts from the speech, but after I looked in Part 3, that has his most speeches I decided I would write the whole speech for you to read. This is where I had to pause and reflect, when reading the second chapter, and that was only the excerpt.
After Mike made that unprompted, unscripted speech the cameraman told him, " Nobody will ever believe you didn't have a script."
After the speech, he found out that State Attorney General Winston Bryant filed suit for Tucker's removal. Mr. Bryant was in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position. He was Mike's opponent in the senate race. Thus, to some people it would look like if Mike took over as Governor, Mr. Bryant would most likely win the senate seat. If he didn't take action he would look like he was playing politics.

Mike held an impromptu news conference outside of his office. As he was talking to reporters another letter arrived from Tucker. In it he stated that his inability had ended and would resume powers as governor. In his office, Mike read both letters to reporters.
There was a question as to who was governor at that moment. Mike told the security detail that he was in charge. His words to them was this, " You follow my orders. You have to make a choice, but I am expecting you to follow mine."

He urged all Arkansans to call their representatives and senators. Mike put the decision in the hands of Arkansas citizens. That day the switchboard at The Democrat Gazette lit up like "the fourth of July." People were wanting to know who their reps were.
The scene was so heavy that thirty to forty state troopers were stationed around the capitol. There were even thirty to forty more on standby.

The Democrats distanced themselves from Tucker. Even Speaker Hogue refused to stand by Tucker while talking to reporters. Mike gives him credit for his bravery.
While Mike was talking with reporters, a radio correspondent received a call on his cell phone. The call...Tucker decided to resign. Mike Huckabee and his staff went into Mike's office to find out the details.

Jim Guy Tucker had sent a handwritten letter to the state senate. "Dear Mr. President: This is to inform you that I hereby resign the office of governor at 6 p.m., July 15, 1996." Mike read the letter on the air. There was applause throughout the capitol halls and outside. Mike says here that politics is not the issue, character was.
At 6:45 p.m. Michael Dale Huckabee was sworn in as the Governor of Arkansas. Janet Huckabee held a green leather Bible, in which Mike Huckabee put his right hand upon and swore to uphold the duties as governor.

Of this incident Mike says that right and truth are not relative conditions, but absolutes. He felt as though what Tucker did was historic, while bizarre at the same time. He could not understand how some one with such experience could do something so foolish. He chalks it up to bitterness and resentment getting the upper hand.
  • Here is the last paragraph from the book. I felt it was important to include in my book report. And I felt like I would be doing a disservice to both Mike Huckabee and my readers if I condensed it, made commentary, or chopped it up.

    "On the morning of July 15, people thought I was an untested, bomb-throwing, Christian fundemantalist Republican who would assume a caretaker position until a real governor could be elected. By the end of the day, I felt an overwhelming majority of citizens wanted me to succeed. It had been a long day, and at last it was over.
  • But the surprises weren't"
My many apoligies to my readers. I am sorry it took so long to finish this. I had made a promise to write a report and it took me longer to write than I thought. Again, my many apoligies. I felt it was important to share the speech Mike Huckabee made in it's full entirety. For honest, it actually brought tears to my eyes upon reading it, I hope it gives you a similar emotion.

God Bless from the Upper Peninsula in Michigan
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5

No comments: