Thursday, June 21, 2007

Pray for Me and Wish Me Luck

I hate to whine about my personal life, but I need to get a second job. I will be looking tomorrow. I have found quite a few "Help Wanted" ads in the paper. The antique store I used to work for in the Summer isn't going to open up this year. The owner is an older lady and isn't able run it.
I don't get this. In the state of Michigan unemployment is 7.1%. The highest unemployment rate in the country. Yet, in the Summer, resort towns hire Jamaicans and Europeans to work at their hotels and restaurants. When my county held a "pizza and politics" party one of our Republican State Senators spoke.
I asked him about this. Because I had also heard an urban legend in town that these foreign workers collect American unemployment during the winter. He told me that it wasn't true and the reason there is so many foreign workers is that they're doing the job that Michigan citizens don't want do. Don't or won't? That's crazy. In the UP there are tons of people who are on Government assistance. Let's get these people working first, then worry about the Jamaicans.
I used to work at a hotel that got bought by a fancy pants Republican from Charlevoix, Michigan. That's a richy-rich town in Michigan. It's also where John Ramsey, father of Jon Benet Ramsey, lives. Yeah, he did run on the Republican ticket in Charlevoix County. He lost. Wonder why? He said that no one knew he was. Yeah, they don't have tabloids in Charlevoix, OK.
Back to Mr. Fancy Pants. After he bought the hotel he hired Jamaicans and Europeans. No one even told me that the hotel was being sold. Since this was my part time job I would have to call in to see if I had to work. Every time I called to see if I was on the schedule they would give me the run around. Finally, a couple months later I got a call from the new people running it to see if I would want to work. They wanted me to work that night. They changed everything around and didn't want to re-train me. I just had to figure everything out.
I don't understand how these hotel owners think that hiring foreigners to answer the phone is helping them. On the surface they think they are saving money. But in reality, they are losing money, because when people call to make reservations nobody can understand nobody. So the potential guests call another hotel to make reservations. Now think about it. If every hotel in my town were to hire foreigners no one would stay in the town. They would choose another town to visit.
Now onto my thoughts about housekeeping. I have worked in housekeeping with Jamaicans and Europeans. They do everything half-assed. The rooms aren't as nice as those cleaned by locals. There are two reasons for this. One is that this is not their community, so they don't have as much invested. They will be going back to their home countries in the fall. The other is that the hotel owners want them punched in and out ASAP. I am not dissing on people who are not
Americans, just it's the circumstances. I am sure they do great work in their home countries.
Well enough of my blabbering. I just got a bank statement, balanced my check book and got utility bills at all the same time. I just hope I have gas in my house tomorrow. It wouldn't be so bad if my water heater was electric, but I do not want to take cold showers. Please do not think I am a flaming liberal for complaining. I am eligible for food assistance and other utility credits, but I refuse to take advantage of the tax payers.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Kathy,
I will pray that you find a job and that the utility company will keep your gas on. When my kids were little, quite a few times I was in the same situation that you are in, so I know how you feel..

Maybe some of the other bloggers and myself can help.I would like to help you in anyway I can..

If you want send me an email.

Michigan Redneck said...

Thank you for your kind words and support. I can make it through, with the Lord on my side. He has helped me through many other problems.
Again many thanks and God Bless!

Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs said...

When I got out of the military, I had a really hard time finding work. I finally settled and went to my hometown's Econo-Lodge and the Pakistani owner immediatly saw the value of an employee who spoke good English.

Well, I got a phone call that night telling me he fired his other desk man and wanted me to work tonight.

And then by the Grace of God, I get a phone call from a consulting firm out here in Washington DC with a much MUCH better job. I literally had $24 in my bank account.

I don't know if that's God's way of testing me or if he was bored and thought it would be fun to nearly put me in debt... either way, He's going to be there for you.

www.ktracy.com

Michigan Redneck said...

Again, Thank you Mass... and Kevin for you kind words.