Thursday, May 24, 2007

What is "Looks Presidential"?

Politician
Vote Mitt Romney for Ken Doll!

I keep hearing about Mitt Romney, John Edwards and Barack Obama looking presidential. What does that mean? How petty is that? Just because they are handsome, or some people think so. In this day and age of reality and makeover shows it is hard to get the American people to look beyond a pretty face. In my humble opinion, if I were to elect someone based on looks I would vote for the average looking candidate. Not that I would vote based on looks. No offense, Mike Huckabee is not "Prom King" material. Not saying that he is dog ugly.
He kind of reminds me of one of the guys in town I might run into at the grocery store. Yelling across the aisle, "Hi Mr. Huckabee. How is Janet and your kids...That's good. I sure bet Jet can't wait to go fishing...Well, have a nice day!"
These guys that are being described as "looking presidential" remind me of yuppies that you would run into at Whole Foods. I don't shop at gourmet stores, but I'm going to assume conversations are about golf, different types of wines, caviar and expensive cheeses.
Maybe I am putting too much thought into it. I guess I am just saying that if you want someone to represent the average American you need to look at who has lived the life of an average American. Mike Huckabee didn't grow up in a life of privilege, in Hope, Arkansas. Everything he has he earned. He had to pull himself up from his bootstraps. To me that is a true American. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against rich people who were born into money. They have every right to run for office. All I am saying is, what are the motives? If they truly want to see a better America then cool. If they are planning to give their big business buddies handouts (yes handouts is not just a phrase for the welfare state), then not cool.
I would rather get a gem of a gift that is wrapped in a plain wrapper tied with twine, than a gift wrapped with pretty papers and big bows with nothing inside. That is what Mike Huckabee is. He is a gem wrapped in plain paper.

P.S. Doesn't the haircut of the emoticon look like John Edwards?

God Bless from the Upper Peninsula in Michigan!

2 comments:

Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs said...

When I think of someone who "looks presidential" I don't think "handsome" or in the case of John Edwards "Pretty."

I want someone who looks confident and strong. Somebody who won't back down. But still appear softer than a Soviet iron fist.

The "Presidential" look isn't something that belongs on the cover of a girl's overpriced pre-teen magazine. The presidential look is something you'll be comforted by in a time of crisis and you see his face on a TIME magazine.

And quite frankly, I think Mike Huckabee is the most presidential looking candidate in the spread. Republican or Democrat.

-Kevin Tracy
www.ktracy.com

Michigan Redneck said...

Kevin,

Thank you for your comment.
"Edwards 'pretty'"Ha ha!
I like your analagies(sp?.

Kathy