Friday, May 25, 2007

I Like Mike and Still Like Ike/Bloggers Call

Mike ain't just full o' jellyeans



Ok, so I participated in the bloggers conference call. I did ask a question. I probably sounded like a "square", stuttering and stammering.

I asked him about the slogan "I Like Mike." As a fan of anything from the fifties this is the slogan that caught my attention before I even knew anything about him. I asked him if he was thinking of Former President Dwight "Ike" Eisenhower when he came up with the slogan. A friend of his came up with it when he first ran for senate in 1992. He said he wished he had been the one to come up with it, "cause it was pretty good." He has kept the slogan during other campaigns. He joked that, "So far the Eisenhower family hasn't sued. Maybe because I am a Republican." Mr. Huckabee you are way to modest. It's more than just being a Republican. The "I Like Ike era" was everything Mike Huckabee stands for.

I asked if he had any admiration for Dwight "Ike" Eisenhower, and why. He made two points why he still "Likes Ike." The interstate system was the first point. He said it brought great growth to the American economy. He felt Ike was under appreciated for that accomplishment. The tourism economy rose due to the new and safer roads. Transporting of goods was made easier, thus the American people were able to get more choices at the local stores at cheaper prices. I have to admit that there is one downside to this, the "tourist traps" weren't visited as much. But the Mackinac Bridge was also built during this time, completed in 1957. This bridge brought together both the Lower Peninsula and Upper Peninsula in Michigan.



Another point he made was of Eisenhower' strengths. Mike said of Ike that he had a driven purpose to lead America during one of the greatest times in history. Mike called Ike a man of vision.

No comments: