Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Candidates Favorite Music (Republicans and Democrats)

Sometimes following politics can be stressful. Well, I found an article about the Primary Candidates that is fun and lighthearted. As a music fan I find this great as an insite into the candidates personal side. A question asked of the candidates by the AP was, "What was your last music purchase?".
Here is thier answers:

DEMOCRATS
Joe Biden of Delaware-"My Sisters Playlists"
Hillary Clinton of New York-Carly Simon's "Into White"
Chris Dodd of Connecticut-soundtrack to Jersey Boys
John Edwards of North Carolina-U2
Dennis Kucinich of Ohio-likes Willie Nelson
Barack Obama-Ray soundtrack from the movie about Ray Charles
Bill Richardson of New Mexico-George Strait "50 Number One Hits"

REPUBLICANS
Sen. Sam Brownback of Kansas-Micheal W. Smith
Rudy Giuliani of New York-Verdi's "Macbeth"
Mike Huckabee of Arkansas-Evanescence
Rep. Duncan Hunter of California-likes country and Gospel
Sen. John McCain of Arizona-fave album "Sounds of Summer-The Very Best of The Beach Boys"
Mitt Romney of Massachusetts-"Selection of Roy Orbison songs from iTunes"
Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado-Frank Sinatra "Duet Combo"

As I am listening to my Stray Cats "Built for Speed" CD, here is my personal take on the selections. Some of the music I don't know too much about. I kinda figured Hillary would like Carly Simon. Nothing wrong with that. The only Carly Simon song I really know is "Your so Vein", maybe others that I have forgotten or didn't know she sang them. I have to admit that I like this song. I'm guessing this is what she sings to Bill. U2, now that surprises me about John "Mr. $400 haircut" Edwards. IMHO, I think of U2 as being for people who are in tune to the world. Yes, Bono has money, but he knows of what's going on in the world, besides the AIDS in Africa. It may be his pet project, but I think the majority of his fans use $400 to pay for a good portion of their rent or mortgage. Anyways U2 is cool. I like them and remember them on MTV back in the day when MTV played strictly videos. I don't know much about Dennis Kucinich. I do like Willie Nelson though, despite the fact that he is liberal. I like his music. His music is pure unadulterated country. Ray Charles, I can't quite say this was a surprise nor can I say it was predictable for Barack. Unfortunately I didn't get to see Ray. I do like his music though. This shows that Barck has a fun, let loose kinda side. "Hey hey what I say!" Yes, I said something nice about a Democrat, that doesn't mean I will change party affiliation and support Barack. But when someone likes good music, they like good music and he deserves credit for that. I may not be a fan of Bill Richardson, but I am a fan of George Strait. This shows that he has a down to earth personality and keeps it real. Now I feel like packing my bags to get to "Amarillo by Morning". Hey when someone likes good music....

Now for my take on the Republicans music choices. I like both Sam Brownback and Michael W. Smith. This shows that he likes music about his faith. If someone listens to music about their faith that shows that they have a passion for it and not ashamed to show it. Verdi, I admit I did have to look this one up this on Wikipedia. Giuseppe Verde was an Italian opera composer. This would be predictable of Rudy Giuliani. After all, he is Italian from New York and into theatre. His choice shows that he is cultured and is a deep thinker. After reading about Verdi and the "Macbeth" opera I might even be interested in buying the CD or if I can find it in record format. I have to admit that I am surprised about Mike Huckabee listening to Evanescence. This surprised me. They are a group from Little Rock. Personally, I would have thought that if he would of chosen an Arkansan artist or group it would have been Johnny Cash. I have never really listened to them. I have heard them on the radio and saw them on MTV. They aren't too bad. His choice shows that he is open to other ideas and thinks outside the box. Nor is he one dimensional. I think it is cool that Duncan Hunter, from California, would like country and gospel. I found that rather unpredictable. I guess when I think of Californians music choices I would think of old school surf or modern rock, nothing wrong with that. It shows that he is in tune with the average American. OK, for real, Beach Boys, that is predictable of John McCain. Maybe I wouldn't have thought that before his "Bomb, Bomb Iran" ditty. According to his choice, it looks like maybe the Beach Boys did do the parody of the song. Look back to my blog about the debates. It looks like the old dude has a fun side after all. I disagree with anyone who says that him knowing Beach Boys songs shows his age. When one listens to the Beach Boys they think of fun, sun, sand, surf and music. Their music is inter-generational classics. Mitt Romney listening to Roy Orbison, that is a BIG surprise. Anyone who is a fan of "Roy the Boy" would have to agree. I have just been inspired to switch from the Stray Cats CD to my Roy Orbison record. Back to Mitty. Roy Orbison was about the blue collar lifestyle and the hardships of the working man. "Uptown" he is singing about being a doorman in a fancy high-rise where he has the hots for one of the residents who lives there and he wants her to notice him. "Working for the Man" is a song about a miner who works for this rich dude. And he wants to become "the man" so he can get the daughter of the mine owner. Most of his songs are full of heartache and sorrow. He ends up losing the girl to some fancy-pants guy. Maybe this will make my feelings of Mitty soften. He can't be that bad of a guy if he likes "Roy the Boy". Roy's music speaks to my heart and gives me deep feeling in my gut. If ya sing along to many of his songs ya can't help but get teary eyed. Maybe someday I'll get to "Blue Bayou". I'm going back someday I want to see the those fish play on "Blue Bayou" to see my baby again and see some of my friends. The world will be mine on "Blue Bayou" to take away this hurtin inside. Those are not his exact words, it's just a feeling I get when I think about Corpus Christi, Texas. Frank Sinatra is an awesome choice for Tom Tancredo. His choice doesn't really fit what little I know about him, but who doesn't like "ol blue eyes"? This might say that Tom Tancredo is a layed back kinda guy who keeps his cool under pressure. Frank Sinatra music is the kind that just makes one want to fix a martini and sit back, relax and not worry.

God Bless from the Upper Peninsula in Michigan!

No comments: