Friday, July 6, 2007

Putting my Money Where my Mouth is/American Accumulation


As many of my readers know, I am passionate about how to help poor people save money and fix nutritious meals. Well, I decided to get in and help. I will be volunteering at the local thrift shop/food bank. It is within walking distance, so I can get exercise when going up there.
I go up there to shop once in a while and they are always getting new items donated. I can't believe how much stuff gets donated. It is amazing to see how much stuff people collect. Americans are probably the most accumulative people in society. It makes one stop and think...
I am poor, but there are many more people who are much poorer than me. Some of this stuff that some people think is junk, may be great treasures to others, just because they can not afford them when they are new. Sometimes I gotta realize that the only thing I need are Jesus, family, friends, food and shelter.
The best thing about this organization is that it is a co-op between all the local churches. I think it is great that the Methodists, Catholics, Baptists and everyone else can come together for a great purpose. As long as we all believe in Jesus' teachings we should all be able to come together for a common goal. Helping the hungry and poor are more important than church rules.
God Bless from the Upper Peninsula in Michigan!

No comments: