Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Importance of Knowing about Bats and Rabies

WARNING: IF YOU HAVE RECENTLY ATE, ABOUT TO OR ARE EATING DO NOT READ!
Most of the recent human rabies cases in the United States have been caused by rabies viruses from bats. Awareness of the facts about bats and rabies can help people protect themselves, their families, and their pets. This information may also help clear up misunderstandings about bats.
When people think about bats, they often imagine things that are not true. Bats are not blind. They are neither rodents nor birds. They will not suck your blood -- and most bats do not have rabies. Bats play key roles in ecosystems around the globe, from rain forests to deserts, especially by eating insects, including agricultural pests. The best protection we can offer these unique mammals is to learn more about their habits and recognize the value of living safely with them.

Well I had fun today. I saw that my cat, Bobbie, had a swollen lip. I figured she must have got bit by something or stung by a bee. Obviously I called the vet. Her receptionist scheduled an appointment.
Today was trash day. As I was taking the trash can from the side of house, I noticed a dead bat. So I put two and two together, thinking that maybe the bat bit her. Or scratched her. Yeah, bats have claws. I did not know this until I picked up the bat, hands protected by grocery bag, and saw his wings by his face and his claws were in defense position. And to the guys out there, no I will not apologize for assuming the bat was a he. And don't read anything into it either. I know biology. I know that there has to be girl bats also to make more bats. I just call ugly animals he and cute animals she.
I called the vet office back to let them know I found the bat. The receptionist told me to put it in the fridge, double bagged, and call animal control. Not the freezer, that kills any possible rabies results. I also let her know that the cat caught one a few days ago and whether I should take him out of the trash. She told me that I should. Well, I went outside and took all the trash out of the can and found maggots. I had quite a few "presents" from my cats in there that I had to throw out. Sorry, but I am not going to search through maggots to differentiate between decomposing chipmunks, mice and bats.
I got a hold of the animal control office. She told me that the vet should be able to take care of that. I told her that they told me to get a hold of her. She told me to take it to the animal shelter and she would find out from the state what to do and pick it up at the animal shelter. I went up to the animal shelter and one of the workers met me outside and said she couldn't keep it there. So, needless to say I still have it. Diet tip of the day; keep a bat in your fridge.
I was kinda scared to go to the vet. I was afraid she would lecture me about not keeping up with Bobbie's shots. Joe is updated though. He's always going to the vet for one thing or another. so he got updated when I took him in for something else. She was nice and didn't lecture me. She did show me something from the State of Michigan or CDC about what to do if a pet gets bit or possibly bit. Supposedly, if the pet is not updated on shots and the bat can not be produced the pet has to be put down. If the pet owner does not want that done they have to be kept inside for 6 months away from people and other animals that are not vaccinated. Then if no symptoms they are to get their shots.
She asked me if I got a hold of the animal control officer. I told her the situation. She told me to contact the officer again and make sure that the bat gets tested. If it tests positive I will have to rethink the situation.
There are a lot of things I did not know regarding bats. My vet told me that they are major carriers of rabies. I knew that people could catch rabies from bats, but I did not know about how serious it is.

IMPORTANT INFO FROM THE CDC

This is important to know, whether or not you have pets. Please click on the links.

Bats and Rabies

  1. What is rabies and how do people get it?
    Why should I learn about bats and rabies?
  2. How can I tell if a bat has rabies?
  3. What should I do if I come in contact with a bat?
  4. What should I do if my pet is exposed to a bat?
  5. How can I keep bats out of my home?
  6. Things to remember when "bat-proofing"
  7. How can rabies be prevented?
  8. Are bats beneficial?

Questions and Answers about Rabies and Bats and Summer Camps


No comments: