Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Playing with My Sewing Machine


Since I am going to Iowa I will be busy sewing pajamas and an "I Like Mike" carry bag to take my stuff in. Also I am going to make hair ribbons or a headband. So I won't be able to blog as much.
After seeing Sunday's video of Mike Huckabee at the Surf Ballroom, it brought out my inner Rockabilly self.
Ya can't see from the pic, but for the pajamas, it is flannel with kitties on it. Granted no one will see me in my pajamas. I just think it would be fun to have a new pair to take with me. The second photo is the pattern I am using.
The red/white/blue material is felt. With my Rockabilly personality I decided to copy the old "I Like Ike" campaign ideas. I will be making a red travel bag that says "I Like Mike." It will say "I" on top, with a blue elephant in the center and "Like" sewn on him, "Mike" will be on the bottom. I will probably use the white felt and/or scraps I have for the lettering. If the campaign is reading this don't worry, I won't be making a "poodle skirt" that says "I Like Mike." Unless ya want me to :). Hey, an idea. Get women to go to senior homes in "I Like Mike" skirts and crinolines. I can just see heads shaking in Iowa now. Well, my regular readers no that I have a bit of smartallically personality. So, only take everything I say with a grain of salt.
I am not sure if I will make hair ribbons that have glitter saying "I Like Mike" and "Mike Huckabee." Or a headband saying "I Like Mike." I need input into which sounds less tacky, but fun at the same time. I can provide ribbons to anyone wanting some.
No I have not gotten the Elvis apron finished. Speaking of which, TV Land will be having an Elvis month all August. Elvis died on August 16, 1977 at his home, Graceland. This Summer will be the 30th anniversary of his passing.
Have no fear, I won't be completely gone. I will touch base to give a quicky newsworthy post once in a while. Or I can kill two birds with one stone and give video blogs while I am at the sewing machine. I have found some retro-political videos that I would like to share links with y'all. They aren't on YouTube so I can't actually post them.
They are relevant, due to the fact that "the more things change, the more they stay the same." The 1952 and '56 campaigns of television being the "new" political medium and the Internet/YouTube being the new political medium. Plus, I found the original "Obama Girl" from Stevenson's '52 campaign. No joke, the girl looks just like Gwen Stefani, blond piled up hair and all. I even found a Stevenson supporter who looks just like Hillary Clinton.
And of course, there is "Ike." His wide range of supporters, issues and "I Like Ike" campaign commercials reminds me of the Mike Huckabee supporters and "I Like Mike" vids. Except the taxi driver in the "I Like Ike" '56 commercial is leaning against a lamp post smoking a cigarette. I don't think we will see any "I Like Mike" vids with people smoking.
Ya would love to hear my sewing machine running. She doesn't sound like these new sewing machines with their click, click sissy sounds. Once my machine gets fired up, oh baby does she go. I have no fear using denim or upholstery. I listen to Rockabilly, Doo-Wop and Elvis when I sew. Listening to great music while sewing makes it even more fun! Vroom, Vroom!
Well gotta "Shake, Rattle and Roll" and God Bless from the Upper Peninsula in Michigan!

No comments: