Sunday, July 29, 2007

Fun Debate-Party Ideas!

Over at OneMom Kerry has a good post about the Republican debates on George Stephanopoulus' "This Week" show, that will take place next Sunday Aug 5. Please read her full post for info about show times.
Watch this debate to show your support for Mike Huckabee. Invite friends and family to watch with you, whether they follow politics, already think they have chosen a candidate to support or are already Huckabee supporter. If they do not support Mike Huckabee I will predict they will support him after hearing him talk against the other guys. He has given great debate performances in previous debates and I don't think things will change.
Now for my fun ideas. Some people may groan about watching political debates and think they are boring. Here's a few ideas to turn watching debates a fun party. Have a potluck, whether there is a lot of people or only a few. A way to make a debate- party potluck fun is to make candidate themed food. Examples could be Southern for Mike Huckabee, Italian for Giuliani, Southwest for McCain, New England for Romney, cheeseball for Tommy Thompson (or Ron Paul; TT is from Wisconsin, RP is well...a cheeseball), etc. You can also get patriotic themed paper plates, cups, napkins, etc. or at least red/white/blue.
Now since most of you are Mike Huckabee supporters here are my personal ideas. Make coasters out of red/white/blue felt. It would be real simple. Just cut out little squares that are average coaster size, back-stitch "I Like Mike" lettering using embroidery floss, then trim with bias tape. For the bias tape you can either machine sew it to the square or back-stitch. This is very simple even for people who don't sew. I will start to work on my coasters and take pictures giving step-by-step instructions.
If you are fairly familiar with sewing you can make a hostess apron or potholders that says "I Like Mike." Since I have too many projects going on now I don't have time to make one for myself, but again, this too would be easy whether you use a pattern or design something of your own. Add a cute little elephant and/or embellishments. These can be made with any fabric that you have on hand or can find on sale. Both ideas can get a subconscious message to your non-Huckabee guests without being pushy.
For food I would suggest banana pudding. I know, I know, Mike Huckabee is the candidate who is on a health kick, but this is a popular Southern desert. I have two recipes, my dad's and one in my Elvis cookbook. I like my dads better. My dad's recipe; take vanilla wafers (store-bought or home-made) put on the bottom of a baking dish, layer sliced bananas on top, then pour vanilla pudding on top. If you want you can repeat process. When you have the desired amount of layers add whipped cream.
Don't forget pom-pons to cheer on Mike! Any other ideas, please let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy - these are great ideas, especially for those who will Tivo or record the debate in some way for later in the day. "This Week" is on in most markets some time between 8 and noon. Since it's a sunday morning, many Huckabee supporters will be at church, so I strongly encourage folks to record the debate and plan the debate party (following your great ideas) and watch it together later in the day. Or, for those watching it live, then a debate brunch with friends would be fun.