Saturday, February 9, 2008

Transcript of Mary Matalin on Glenn Beck

Mary Matalin Interview

Audio Available:

February 8, 2008 - 11:55 ET

GLENN: Let me ask you this. Let me ask you this. Two tough questions. One, can you name a time -- because I can name McCain/Feingold, I can name McCain/Lieberman, McCain/Kennedy. What else? McCain -- what was it? No, any of the other bills, Stu, that has his name in it. They are all mistakes. Where he reaches across the aisle and says, "Ted, friend, I just want to hug you and let's get this done for the country." Can you name one time where he's grabbed Barney -- probably a bad example. Where he has grabbed a liberal and said, "Friend, I need your help. I need you to help me right now accomplish this conservative goal"?

MATALIN: Not off the top of my head.

GLENN: See? I mean, what good is it if he reaches across and helps them if he never demands --

MATALIN: You're going to have to explain that. What he's saying is I can -- you are 100% right. And in a 12 step program he's taken step 1. Now one of the steps -- and that might even be step 6, when you reach across -- keep using his reaching across as one of the rationales for his candidacy. See, he has to answer that question, and I'm sure he will put himself in a position 2. Or if he doesn't, he will have to. So reach across -- what do you think you can get them to do with you that's in our interests? So I think he sort of tried to suggest that, whatever it was, CPAC thing, for instance, health costs, we can do market forces and I can do commanding control. What he didn't address and here's a good place to see it, energy is the same thing. He has been -- [more here]

No comments: